Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Famous Last Words

Obviously, I can’t keep my big mouth shut, even for a week. Yes, I’m still going on vacation, but I had something else to say before I go.

Here’s the deal: I’m a science fiction fan. I’ve always been a science fiction fan and I probably will probably always be a science fiction fan. I’m also a believer in the power of the small press. It’s probably about time that I did something besides simply arguing my points; proving at least one of them would probably be a good place to start.

To that end, I’m looking to profile some good, solid, self-published science fiction here on this blog. New stuff. Original stuff. Who knows? Maybe even stuff that is outside the current mainstream of science fiction. It’s probably a long shot, but it would be great to profile authors who have taken advantage of the self-publishing opportunity and actually done something truly innovative.

Send me your elevator pitch. Pretend you’re in an elevator with me for five minutes and you have to explain what your story is about. If I like the concept, I’ll ask for the full manuscript. If I like what I read, I’ll profile you here. In addition to the books themselves, I’m also interested in when you published, how much effort you put into your marketing, and how many sales you’ve made. (Demographics make the world go 'round.)

Like I said, I’m going on vacation until the first of December, so don’t expect an immediate response. But I promise to get back to everyone, even if it’s just a simple, “You should really learn to use spell check.”

Go ahead and tell everyone you know: I’m a glutton for punishment. But at least I’m making an effort. What have you done for your fellow authors lately?