Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Some Unfinished Business

It's the last day of January, which is why I thought today would be a fitting day to close up shop. I've said all that I've got to say about the publishing industry as a whole over the course of the last four months and other projects are starting to demand my attention.

I'd like to say that I am hopeful for the future of publishing, but the truth is that I can't even convince a GS-15 to send a four line email properly and he's just one person. In many ways, writers are worse than government employees - the phrase "herding cats" comes to mind.

I don't know that I have personally solved any of the many lingering problems that plague the industry, but I like to believe that there are a few more writers in the world who are putting some serious thought into what they are doing with their novels. Perhaps they are thinking differently, perhaps they are thinking constructively. Perhaps they are just thinking. In any case, I have a difficult time seeing new information as a bad thing and, in the end, that's all I have provided - new information. What the individual readers choose to do with that information is entirely up to them.

If you are looking for new bloggers to read in my absence, I would like to suggest Leo Stableford and the Grumpy Old Bookman, both of whom are far more prolific than I will ever be.

Attentive readers will note that there is still one thing left on my agenda that I have not quite completed: the reviews of the books that were submitted to me at the end of November. I have already emailed the various authors and explained the situation - at some point in the indeterminate future, I will be back to talk about these hopeful and patient men (and they are all men, curiously).

Until that happens, keep the faith and don't let the bastards get you down. But remember: if you want to be successful, you will have to do it yourself. That's the way the world has always worked. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you something.